11.12.2007

Bug off!

We've recently had an invasion of paper wasps (I think) in our backyard. We noticed them swarming about a month ago so we had an exterminator come out and take down a couple of nests we'd seen, and it seemed to solve the problem. But then today I was about to go outside and I saw that there were dozens of them flying around again. We don't know of any other nests, and they don't seem to be hanging around in any one place, so I have no idea what they're after. Have any of you had this happen? How do you get rid of them? It's a bummer to not be able to go outside.

1 comment:

Ashlee said...

Go to: http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg348.html

I would venture a guess that the wasps you are finding are the "in the fall, mated female offspring of the queen seek overwintering sites. The remainder of the colony does not survive the winter."

Good luck!