Dreamt up by Dave and explained more fully here, Embrace the Lame Day is that day on which we reveal the aspects of ourselves that we believe others might view as, well, lame. Like, if you have a soft spot for Mariah Carey I would imagine that would make your list. It would make mine, anyway. This day helps us not only to laugh at ourselves, but to realize that maybe we're not as lame as we think, because a lot of people are finding characteristics of their own showing up on other peoples' lists. Or something like that. Also, it allows us to point at each other and laugh. Let the pointing begin.
1. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this even here. I collect Sunfire Romance books. Avidly. I loved them in junior high, and I like to say I'm collecting them for future daughters (and I am, because they're historical and clean), but the truth is that I default to them whenever I want to read but I'm too tired to follow a plot.
2. Along the same lines, I've read the Christy Miller books repeatedly. They're pretty badly written (the main guy is usually described as having "screaming silver-blue eyes"), but there it is. They're set in Newport Beach, and I'm a sucker for books set in places I love.
3. I give out fake names at Starbucks when I order coffee. Clint got me started on this. It's usually just funny, but I go to the same Starbucks every Wednesday and Sunday, and not only do the people there know my drink (grande caramel mocha), they also know that my name is Stella and routinely yell "Stella!" at me in their best Marlon Brando imitations. And I can't use my ATM card there, because it would reveal to them that my name is really Kristin. And then I'd feel really dumb.
4. In the personal "selling out" category: I've given in to those stupid pseudo-Italian size designations at Starbucks and actually order talls, grandes, and ventis. I'm totally ashamed of myself for this. I swore I'd never do it.
5. I saw Titanic in the theater 13 times. THIRTEEN TIMES! That's roughly $110 and 45 hours of my life spent on one movie. And then I bought it on video.
6. I will do almost anything for macaroni and cheese and will eat it cold. I've also been known to eat spaghettios straight out of the can.
7. I read Harry Potter fan fiction. I dare any one of you to tell me that's not the lamest thing you've EVER heard anyone admit.
8. I sing out loud LOUDLY to Beastie Boys and Sublime songs. I act all gangsta-tough when I'm really just a little white girl from the OC.
9. Even though I'm not superstitious, I have this thing about fortune cookies. I love them, and I won't read the fortune until I've eaten half of the cookie. It's an old thing my friend Joy started in highschool, saying the fortune won't come true unless you do it this way, and I can't break myself of the habit.
10. I watched Little House on the Prairie on DVD today. The episode where Mary goes blind. And I actually got a lump in my throat watching Pa Ingalls cry and listening to the sappy, dramatic 70s violin music.
There. That's enough lameness for this year.