7.24.2005

Guilty Pleasures part 2

Everybody has those songs that they're kind of ashamed of liking, don't they? You know, something by Celine Dion or Kenny G that you really secretly love. I heard one of mine the other day, and I cranked it up and sang along while one part of me cringed in embarrassment and shame. Here are some of my songs that I'm blushing to say I like, and why I still like them.

"Something to Believe In" by Poison
Dave and I used to drive around in his Mustang convertible with the top down on cold nights and sing this song at the top of our lungs. It was especially funny when we'd hit a bump and the CD would skip and we'd both be shouting in the sudden silence. Incidentally, Dave sold that car before I was old enough to drive it. Thanks, brother.

"The End of the Innocence" by Don Henly
Another Dave story, for some reason this reminds me of his blue Oldsmobile, the 442. Another car I never got to drive....

"Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson
It seems like this song was always on when I was on my way to my piano lessons when I was ten. This was one of those songs that you could find on the radio at any time if you tried enough stations. There's a part where the lyrics go, "And no message could have been any clearer." Until I told him differently several months ago, Nathan thought this part was, "And no mustache is gonna bend any clipper." What?!?!

"Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice
My freshman year of highschool. Seemed like everyone was singing this song, and I still hear people saying, "Rollin' in my 5.0 with my ragtop down so my hair can blow." Okay, I'm the only one that says that. Sadly, this is one of those songs that you'll never hear on the radio since it got eclipsed by the song it ripped the hook off from, "Under Pressure" by Queen (with David Bowie).

"Blame It on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli
Rob and Fab. How could you NOT love them? They got a Grammy for being fakes!

"If It Isn't Love" by New Edition
I actually still love almost anything by these guys, including "Candy Girl" and "Can You Stand the Rain." So much fun. Laugh at them if you will, but this group spawned so many big names it's unreal.

"One More Try" by George Michael
When I was in junior high I thought this was the saddest song around. I think I maybe used to cry while I listened to it. Sheesh.

Alright, I think that's quite enough for tonight. Oh, one more. I really like the theme from "In a Summer Place" by Percy Faith. I feel like I'm 60 years old when I admit that. See, I told you these were embarrassing! Stay tuned for more confessions of a pop culture victim....

2 comments:

White Tiger said...

No need to be ashamed of Poison or Don Henley. Boys of Summer (or Poisoned Summer(?)) is also pretty good.

Is it wrong that Karma Chameleon is still one of my favorite songs?

I’m a man without conviction
I’m a man who doesn’t know
How to sell a contradication
You come and go
You come and goooo . . .

Kristy said...

I totally meant to include that song on my list, and forgot. I have it on an 80s collection, and I CRANK it when it comes on!

Red, gold, and green...