5.09.2006

This is totally turning into a music blog

I promised you guys I wouldn't turn this into a blog all about Judah. But I never promised you anything about music. It's such a big part of my life, and I'm pretty much always either listening or singing. I'm that person that can come up with a song about just about anything. So I saw this post that Heather at dooce wrote, and I thought it was a pretty good idea. She set her iPod to shuffle and then listed off the first ten songs it came up with, with comments. So I'm gonna copy her. Except that I'm using iTunes, because my iPod bit it on Sunday night (RIP iPod, 2003-2006). This is potentially embarrassing, because there's a lot of stuff in my library that I know nothing about, either because it's Nathan's or it's from a CD that I bought for one song only. So here goes.

1. Hallelujah Here She Comes - U2: One of those songs I'm really neutral about. It's okay, not one of U2's best. But not even close to being one of their worst.

2. Laredo - The Smothers Brother: I was a Smothers Brothers addict by the age of 6. They're hysterical. I used to play their records on my little record player and really only get half the jokes. They're way funnier now. "If you get an outfit you can be a cowboy too."

3. Omaha - Counting Crows: Good song, probably my second or third favorite on the album. After Anna Begins and Raining in Baltimore.

4. Amongst the Ruins - Delerium: A song I don't know! But Delerium's pretty good, so I'll have to actually listen to the whole album someday...

5. 1963 ('95) - New Order: New Order is one of those groups where I can't say I have a favorite song, but if I could, it might be this one. Got it? I love it. It reminds me of highschool and riding to football games with Gina.

6. Reincarnation Song - Toad the Wet Sprocket: I hate this song. I've never learned the words, even, because it's so BORING. And Glen Phillips sounds like Cartman from Southpark on this track.

7. King's Cross - Pet Shop Boys: One of the few songs on the Actually album that I like. Reminds me of hanging out at Nate and Jon's place at Westpark. I don't think I ever heard it there, but it would've fit. And it feels like those nights.

8. Perfect Blue Buildings - Counting Crows: Again, I'm neither here nor there on this one. It's okay. The line "I wanna get me a little oblivion" is pretty cool.

9. It's a Maze - from the Secret Garden soundtrack: Okay, this should have made my Embrace the Lame list, maybe. I have the whole soundtrack. And I listened to it Sunday and cried because it's such a good story. I saw the play once, it was one of the saddest dates of my life. Just another BAB fiasco, I'm afraid.

10. Fascination Street - The Cure: You knew they'd show up somewhere, right? This song is so perfect and creepy and dark and desperate. Perfect for midnight driving in the city.

No comments: