4.09.2005

Guilty pleasure

Around Christmas time I went to Borders to buy some gifts for people. While I was paying, the cashier asked me if I'd like to pre-order my copy of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I was astounded. The announcement of the release date had just come out the day before! Will the Harry Potter madness never end? I hope not. And I can't wait until July. Who knows when I'll have time to actually read the book, but I'll figure it out somehow.

Is it wrong of me to love Draco Malfoy the best of the characters? He's just so evil! Harry and Ron and Hermione are nice and all, but they're just a little too good. I like Draco, and I have high hopes for him. My prediction is that at some crucial part of the seventh book Draco will do a 180 and start fighting for the right side, rebelling against his father. And I think that Hermione will fall in love with him against her will and they'll wind up together. I've never liked the idea of Hermione and Ron together, though I know that's where Rowling is headed. But then, she is the queen of the unexpected, so my scenario could play out. Wouldn't it be great? They would have to sneak around a lot because you know Harry and Ron wouldn't understand or like it, and Draco's father would probably try to have Hermione killed or something.

Okay, anyway, enough of that. How silly, huh? I don't care. I have to admit that reading books that are written for kids is sometimes way more fun that books written for adults. I just finished reading Girls in Pants by Ann Brashares, the third book in the pants series. I love them. I'm reading it again. They're so beautifully and expressively written, and I love the way Brashares gets inside the heads of teenage girls so perfectly. CS Lewis said something once about reading kids books.....but I can't recall the quote at the moment.

And I gotta run anyway......

6 comments:

Clint said...

No way it'll happen. It would go against everything that's been shown about Draco. He hates (with a passion) Mudbloods, which Hermione is. He's shown plenty of tendencies to do the wrong thing and a willingness to hurt people. If anything, I'd expect Draco to be the one that ends up killing Harry, and because Harry and Voldomort are linked, he'll end up killing him too. Rowling has hinted (and many suspect) that Harry will have to die in order for Voldomort to die.

Kristy said...

Yeah, I've heard that theory too. But do you think that she would be THAT horrible? I mean, I know she's not afraid to kill off characters that people love, but Harry himself? I really don't think so. Or else, it may look like he's dead, but will be miraculously resurrected. Remember: Harry as Christ figure. I know the Draco/Hermione thing probably won't happen, but wouldn't it be the greatest surprise ever?

Barbara said...

"A book worth reading only in childhood is not worth reading even then." -- C.S. Lewis
Is that the quote you were thinking of?

Kristy said...

Something like that! But I thought there was one more along the lines of him saying that now he's old enough to read kids books again and not care what people think of him. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...

kd said...

C.S. Lewis also said, "Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst." This is what my post meant. ...just to claify. Issue can be debated but a love for God and willingness to serve him cannot. I believe that is something that we do have in common.(kimberly from Nomad)

Kristy said...

I think you're right. There will forever be debates about Scripture and meaning, but loving and serving and living the way He wants us to are most important. And I guess loving is at the top of the list, because everything else grows from there.

Thanks for coming over! It's good to have you here.