9.23.2006

The autumn music lineup

It's finally autumn! After a torturously hot summer. The weather is finally changing a little bit: I wore a long sleeved shirt today, and I've actually had to sleep under the comforter the past few nights. So, with the slightly cooler weather and hazy sunshine comes a new listening lineup. Fall, for me, is the time for groups like Toad the Wet Sprocket, The Sundays, Duncan Sheik, Kate Bush, Ivy, and Dido. But by far my favorite fall group is the Cocteau Twins. Elizabeth Fraser has the most incredible voice I've ever heard, so clear and ethereal and totally unbelievable. I fell in love with this group in high school, and have loved them ever since, but really only at this time of year. I think what I love most about them is that it's all about the sound, and about different moods that can be created with the sound alone, because Elizabeth Fraser, though technically the lead singer, has absolutely no regard for actual words most of the time. For a long time I couldn't tell if she was singing in English or French, and then I discovered that she's usually not singing words at all, it's all just tones. I love that. It frees me up to listen to the music without getting wrapped up in the lyrics. My favorite song of theirs is Carolyn's Fingers from Blue Bell Knoll. Listen to it here by clicking on the link for the video. Happy listening!

No comments: