7.12.2008

A little help, my artsy friends?



So, I'm working on a project. I thought it would be pretty easy, but it turns out it's harder than I anticipated. For several reasons. I saw this idea in a magazine to go around and take pictures of the letters in your kids' names, then frame them for their walls. Sounds easy, right? Not if you're me, I guess. Here are my problems:



1. Most letters are up high, and if I zoom in too much I won't be able to enlarge them enough to frame.

2. The style I want is mostly extinct around here. Judah's room is vintage travel, so I'm looking for old Route 66 type stuff, like the "SH" and "WA" above. Micah's will be in black and white and I want kind of an old neon lights feel, like the "M" above. But this area has become so modernized that these cool old signs are all but gone. The few that I found were on Beach Boulevard and when I pulled in to the motel parking lot to take a picture of the M I was afraid I was about to be mugged for drug money by the "tenants" standing around.

So, for those of you who are local, any suggestions on places to look?

7 comments:

Ashlee said...

hmm, I'm thinking Captain Blood's? Old Fullerton, Whittier, type? The theater turned Church in Old Town? How bout the road trip to Pismo this year, stop at every old town you come to? Where did we go that last time, there were antique shops, something about being near where your grandfather grew up??? My memory is a little fuzzy...

Kristy said...

Yeah, those are the kind of areas I need, though I was hoping to stay local. But definitely places like Exeter, Lindsay, Tulare, etc. would be good. They still haven't homogenized everything like the OC has. The trip to Pismo is also a good idea. Thanks!

Clint said...

Try Venice Pier/Beach. Hollywood may still have some. If you're feeling adventurous you might consider a studio tour. They've probably got tons of old signs like that on the lots but you'd have to be quick with the camera as they'd be rolling by in the tram thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that you might find some signs in antique stores. Their basements usually hold the large items. Orange or the place on Whittier Blvd. Can't remember the name, but it's a big one. I would be up for a fun scavenger hunt. :) If I see any, I'll take a few shots.

Kristy said...

Yay! Thanks, all you guys! I knew I could count on you. Plus, all those places are places I want to go anyway. And I know that Ashlee in particular would love to go to Venice with me. She always wants to go to Venice for some reason....something about garlic and knots???

Anonymous said...

Guess what!?! Birch Street has several signs that fit what you are looking for; they are all neon: Edwards, Old Navy, Tower Records, Fat Burger, etc. I'll bring my camera tomorrow when I drive by there. :)

Ashlee said...

hmm... I guess, if you twisted my arm... I COULD go to Venice...