10.14.2005

Operation: Waiting Room Take Over, Stage One

Last week Nathan quite innocently asked me to burn him some mix CDs for his waiting room, so that his patients don't sit politely avoiding each other's eyes in dead silence while they wait for Nathan to see them. Little did he know. Music is my weapon, and I will use it to subtly infiltrate his office and claim it in the name of all that is good and 80s and alternative. Sadly, I can't go the whole nine yards, because some of what I love just isn't waiting room appropriate. The Cure's Hot Hot Hot and Why Can't I Be You? for instance. But I managed to get some good stuff in. A good amount of U2, the more palatable and popular Cure songs, a lot of Toad the Wet Sprocket, some Ivy (Nathan will kill me for that), even some John Mayer (my guilty pleasure: his music makes me feel like a 14-year-old). And then there are some of the things I snuck in.... I'm going to have to move to the next county when Nathan realizes what's playing out there. Songs like Toto's "Africa,", James Taylor's "The Water is Wide" and "Copperline" (which I included purely because it has a line about copper kettles sitting "side by each"), The Smiths' "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side," and especially Taco's "Puttin' on the Ritz." I'm gonna be in so much trouble, and Nathan is gonna take it from some of his patients. Oh, and I also included Erasure's "Oh l'Amour." Just for good measure. But I did exercise some restraint. I skipped over the Pet Shop Boys completely (*sniff*), and I finally decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to add in David Wilcox's "Mango" (Clint!).

1 comment:

Clint said...

David Wilcox is the bomb. You should have put Boob Job on though. Just to see if anyone noticed.